Coal Tar Enamel For Pipe Coating
ShaliEnamel (formerly known as Coal-tar Enamel Type 1 Plasticised Pitch) is hot pour coal tar enamel coating prepared by digesting bituminous coal in a solution of pitch and high boiling coal tar distillate modified by inert mineral filler.
It conforms to IS 9912 : 2008 Type 1 & 2, BS 4164: 2002 and AWWA C 203 : 2015, Type 1.
Corrosion protection of pipes for carrying crude, liquid or gases by coating pipes.
- Excellent adhesion to metal, high electrical resistivity, good flexibility, temperature susceptibility and chemical stability.
- Resistant to bacteria / marine organisms, root growth, back fill damage, petroleum products and water.
- Cathodic disbonding resistivity.
- Depending upon the size of the melting kettle, cut ShaliEnamel into small pieces of approximately 1 to 5 kg each.
- Fill the kettle up to 40% of its capacity.
- Begin heating till the application temperature is attained. During heating, slowly add balance material upon reaching fluidity.
- Stir occasionally to avoid carbonisation at the bottom of the kettle. This will prevent coking of the material and save considerably on fuel.
- Consume the heated ShaliEnamel within 3 hrs once the application temperature is reached. Reject enamel held at the application temperature for more than 3 hrs, if it is found off specification.
- Ensure enamel remaining in the kettle on reheating does not exceed 10% of fresh charge.
- Resist the maximum temperature of the kettle to 260 OC. Reject enamel above this temperature.
- In the event of Plant breakdown, or any other reason, put off burner and bring down the enamel temperature to 180°C or lower keeping agitator on for a period not exceeding 8 hrs.
- Apply ShaliEnamel on cleaned and primed external pipe surface when metal temperature is above 7 OC to ensure that the pipe is free from dust, dirt, oil and moisture.
Health & Safety
- Use goggles, mask, nose cover and hand gloves during application
- Clean hands with warm soap water after application
Available in 250 kg drum.
Keep in cool and dry place, under shed, away from heat.